These sweet little carmel apple hand pies are divine and a cinch to make! Soft cinnamony apples and gooey carmel tucked into a tiny flakey crust. They’re like a little package of fall.
I know that I told you in my last post about our Apple Orchard Adventure that I would share my apple hand pies with you once the new Wenderly site was up but I just can’t wait!! I have too many fall DIY projects, decorating ideas and recipes to share with you so I’ll be posting here until the new site launches.
Patience has never been one of my strong points.
I really don’t know why I’ve never made a hand pie?
In my mind they seemed so labor intensive for some reason but I’m here to tell you that they’re not! As a matter of fact, I’ll be making hand pies for every festive occasion for quite awhile! I’m already dreaming up different personalized hand pies for all who gather around my Thanksgiving table embellished with pastry leaves and acorns. I was even thinking about some savory hand pies for Christmas Eve supper.
Aren’t they just precious? I adore the rustic look and feel. Using the prepared pie crust really made making these a breeze.
And nobody could even tell the difference.
Darling little packages of pastry filled with all the delights of the season. Indulge yourself and your loved ones with some carmel apple hand pies today!
- For the filling :
- 5 Jonathan apples (peeled, cored and cut into small cubes)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 12 carmel squares (cut into 4 pieces)
- For the crust :
- 1 package prepared pie crust (I used Trader Joe’s)
- egg and water for egg wash
- sanding sugar for tops of hand pies
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Place the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves into a bowl and toss until mixed together.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan, add apple mixture and cook over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes until apples are tender.
- While the apples cook, flour your work surface and roll out prepared pie crust into a 1/4 inch thickness
- Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many rounds as you can and place on a lined baking sheet. Continue kneading the remaining dough and rolling and cutting until you have 12 dough circles on your baking sheet and 12 other rounds to top the hand pies.
- Beat an egg with a splash of water and brush egg wash around edges of the 12 rounds on baking sheet.
- Put about a tablespoon of the apple filling into the center of each of the dough circles then tuck 4 carmel pieces into the apple filling of each hand pie.
- Place the remaining dough circles on each hand pie.
- Seal the hand pies by gently pushing a fork around the edges.
- Brush the top of each hand pie with the egg wash, cut a few slits into the top and then sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a 400º oven until golden brown on the top and warm and bubbly inside.