When it comes to comfort food this easy pot roast recipe is at the top of my list! A savory, hearty, one pot meal that makes suppertime scrumptious.
My mom has made this delicious and easy pot roast recipe for as long as I can remember. I have such warm childhood memories of walking in the door after school on a frigid winter day,
welcomed by the intoxicating aroma of pot roast cooking in the oven. I couldn’t wait until suppertime when I would finally get to dig into that delectable meat and tender vegetables. Homework and chores never seemed to get done as fast as they did on those days.
Now that I’ve got a family of my own, I’ve carried on the pot roast tradition at my house. I find as much comfort in knowing that dinner is prepared and cooking away as I do in knowing that my girls will walk into a warm and cozy home filled with the glorious smell of supper.
Nothing is more comforting than knowing that a warm hearty supper has been made and is waiting just for you to enjoy.
Except maybe a warm hug from your mama. And in my opinion, that’s just what a big bowl of delectable pot roast tastes like.
Warm wishes and hugs,
Here’s the delicious recipe ::
- 1 pot roast – 2-2.5 pounds
- 6 medium carrots cleaned and cut in half
- 3 potatoes peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 onion peeled cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons dried Italian herbs
- tablespoon of flour to brown the meat with
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ª
- Heat canola oil (in an oven safe dutch oven) over medium-high heat
- Sprinkle flour, salt and pepper on all sides of roast and shake off excess
- Brown all sides of the meat until they have a golden crisp crust
- Tuck all vegetables around the edges of the meat, fill dutch oven half way with water and sprinkle Italian herbs over top of meat and veggies
- Put lid on dutch oven and cook in oven for 4 hours
- Shred meat with a fork, serve with veggies