Caprese salad skewers are fresh and full of flavor and make a delicious start to any meal. The heart shaped tomato will add that special touch to any occasion.
We devour caprese salad at our house. The bright colors match the taste of the bright flavors and who doesn’t love to eat with their eyes first? This year for Valentine’s Day we decided to dine out, but I decided to have a sweet little appetizer ready, just for the two of us, to enjoy before hitting the town. A caprese salad skewer is the perfect way to get those taste buds awake and ready for the next course. To make it extra special for my Valentine, I cut the tomatoes to make a heart shape. You’ll never believe how simple it is!
First, you’ll need grape tomatoes, not cherry tomatoes. The oblong shape of the grape tomato is necessary to pull off the heart effect.
After you’ve washed and dried the tomatoes, simply cut them in half at an angle, invert the two sides and you’ll see the heart shape appear!!
Add a fresh basil leaf, a small mozzarella ball and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and you’ve got yourself a caprese salad skewer that’s ready for any celebratory event! So whether it’s Valentine’s Day, an anniversary, birthday or just because you love someone, tickle their fancy with a caprese salad skewer with a heart tomato!
Wishing you & yours a delicious Valentine’s Day!
Here’s the easy recipe ::
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 12 small fresh mozzarella balls
- 12 basil leaves (washed and dried)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Wash and dry the tomatoes and simply cut them in half at an angle and invert the two sides making a heart shape.
- Slide the heart shaped tomato onto the skewer first, followed by the basil leaf (that folded in half) and a small mozzarella ball.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Repeat above steps until you’ve made a dozen. (But you’ll find you may just need to make more!)
- Dig in and enjoy!