This simple popcorn recipe is healthy too! Tossed with freshly grated parmesan cheese, dried oregano, you’ll enjoy a pop of flavor in every bite!
Popcorn has always been a family favorite at my house! Freshly popped popcorn that’s been cooked on the stove, sprinkled with coarse salt and heaped into a gigantic stainless steel bowl has kicked off many a Friday night. Awwwwwwwww, diving into that salty crunch is heaven. Talk about simple pleasures.
But have you ever tried popcorn that has been tossed in a smattering of olive oil then sprinkled with freshly grated parmesan cheese, dried oregano and red pepper flakes? It’s like a party in your mouth. Savory, salty, spicy deliciousness that will satisfy any snack attack. If fact, this popcorn recipe will take snacking to a whole new level. And it’s healthy to boot!
This popcorn recipe is perfect for snacking but it also works as a quick and whimsical appetizer and it would be a perfect addition to any game day spread.
It’s even been known to double as supper or a quick breakfast at my house too.
You’d better believe that our weekend will begin with the sound of kernels popping against a glass lid, followed by that intoxicating smell of freshly popped popcorn. Hope yours does too.
Here’s the yummy recipe…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (one tablespoon for cooking and the other for tossing)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- salt to taste
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the bottom of a dutch oven.
- Pour one cup of popcorn kernels (or as much that will cover the bottom of the pan)
- Place dutch oven on stove and cook at med-high heat while shaking the pan. Continue to shake the pan until all of the kernels are popped. Then remove from heat.
- Pour popcorn into a large bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil and warm popcorn and toss until coated.
- Rub dried oregano between the palms of your hands to release oils and crush the leaves into smaller pieces. Sprinkle over popcorn.
- Add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Grate at least one cup of parmesan cheese and salt to taste and toss popcorn until evenly distributed.