Sweet & Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps

Nothing pleases me more than making a meal to enjoy with my family. There is something deeply satiating about nourishing those you love with good food and I feel so blessed to be able to do it. But not everybody has this luxury. There are so many people in this world (and in your own neighborhood) who don’t have the ability to put food on their table. So when I was asked to help Ohio’s foodbanks, I jumped at the chance!

And guess what? You can help too!

Each time someone visits Ohio’s hog farmers on YouTube to watch this darling “Pork from Fork to Farm” video, Ohio Pork Producers Council and its partners will donate one pound of ground pork to Ohio’s foodbanks. Do you believe it?  You can help feed the hungry with one little click from the comfort of your own home. How easy is that?

In keeping with the theme of the campaign, I was asked to make a recipe using ground pork. I decided to make Sweet and Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps. They are perfect for Spring and make a delightful appetizer or a dazzling main meal.

These are some of the flavorful ingredients I used.

And did I mention that these lettuce wraps are a one dish meal?

I’ve got to admit that while I love pork, I have never used ground pork. I’m pleased to say that it is divine!

The only other thing you’ll need to make your meal complete are lettuce leaves and a little bit of your favorite dipping sauce. Personally, I didn’t even use the dipping sauce. The flavors were so vivid and delicious I just didn’t need any.

We enjoyed the sweet & spicy pork filling wrapped in Boston Lettuce leaves because I happen to love their buttery flavor, but any ol’ lettuce will suffice!

Just spoon the filling into a lettuce leaf,

and top with Daikon sprouts,

or crispy rice noodles.

Sweet and Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps are easy and affordable not to mention delicious. I know as I feed my family this evening I shall count my blessings and be ever so grateful for the opportunity to do so. Please join me in the effort to help feed others who are hungry. You’re help is just a click away.

Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by the kind folks of the Ohio Pork Producers Council, but as always, all thoughts, opinions and photos are my own.

Be sure to stop by and visit these other four Ohio bloggers with whom I have teamed up to check out their delicious recipes!

Aimee of Shugary Sweets

1 pound ground pork
1 shallot, diced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup water chestnuts, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
2 Tablespoons Sriracha sauce (to coat the finished pork filling before serving)

For the sweet & spicy sauce:

1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2  teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce

Here’s What You’ll Do:

Heat 1 teaspoon of sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute shallots until they become translucent. Add red bell peppers stirring occasionally until they become soft, about 5 minutes, add garlic and stir before adding the ground pork. Add salt and red pepper flakes. While the pork is browning, put all ingredients for the sweet & spicy sauce into a bowl and whisk until everything is incorporated. Once the pork is fully browned pour the sweet & spicy sauce into the pan stirring until all liquid has reduced. Add water chestnuts and for the last finishing spicy touch, pour in 2 Tablespoons of Sriracha sauce and stir until all of the ground pork is coated. Spoon into freshly washed and dried lettuce leaves and serve.

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Appetizers, Food, Main Dishes, Recipes, Sponsored Post and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 14, 2013 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Oh yum. I love lettuce wraps and these look awesome!! Love finding out who the other Ohio bloggers are :)

2. Posted March 14, 2013 at 8:50 am | Permalink

This looks absolutely amazing! I will definitely have to try this out.

3. Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:29 am | Permalink

OH heck yaaaa. This is my jam!

4. Posted March 14, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Yum! This is what my husband wishes I would make for dinner tonight.

5. Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

What a beautiful recipe and post! I just adore your words and talent. :)

6. Posted March 14, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Love these — they look so yummy! So happy to “meet” some fellow Ohio bloggers.

7. Posted March 14, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

We love lettuce wraps! This recipe is perfect!

8. Posted March 15, 2013 at 8:47 am | Permalink

What a great cause! These lettuce wraps look amazing a great weeknight family meal for sure!

9. Posted March 15, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Love finding all these pork recipes!

10. Posted March 18, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this – Made it last night and it went down a treat. Only addition I made was some lightly roasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled over the top.My family love these and they’re so good for them. Definitely added to my weekly menu.

11. Posted March 19, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I love any kind of wraps! :) Love the fresh squeezed OJ in the sauce! xo

12. Posted March 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

I’m totally going to try your lettuce wraps! We had some chicken ones last week and to my surprise, kiddo LOVED them! It’ll be so great to have another recipe to change things up a bit…you know, gotta keep things interesting. ;)

{I clicked over, too!}

13. Posted March 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

I’ve never made ground pork ones before! We’ve got to try this one very, very soon.

6 Trackbacks

1. By Lasagna Soup - Shugary Sweets on March 14, 2013 at 7:13 am

[...] is sharing some Sweet and Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps! Sounds [...]

2. [...] Wenderly [...]

3. By Pasta Alla Bolognese on March 14, 2013 at 10:14 am

[...] Sweet and Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps by Wenderly [...]

4. By Adventures in Home Cooking | Heights Eats on May 6, 2013 at 9:05 pm

[...] This recipe seemed to fit what I had on hand the best, but I didn’t have shallots, fresh ginger, water chestnuts, brown sugar or oranges (okay, it was a bit of a stretch). So I got to work on prepping and figuring out substitutions. [...]

5. By Food and Stuff | Make Me a Tree on July 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm

[...] up is “Sweet & Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps” from [...]

6. By Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps | Cannot Cook on August 16, 2013 at 11:51 pm

[…] combined two recipes from the internet: Sweet & Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps and Spicy mince & lettuce […]