Old Fashioned Potato Candy

Have you ever heard of candy made from a potato?

For years my mom has talked of this mysterious potato candy that she loved as a little girl. She would spend magical summers at her grandparents house gleefully running through grapevine arbors, relishing in the homemade jams and jellies made from the grapes. Hours would melt away watching and helping her grandmother work her magic in the kitchen. Whenever homemade mashed potatoes were served with dinner my mom knew that delicious potato candy wouldn’t be far behind.

My mom and I have been planning to make this sweet treat for, well, more times than I care to count. Somehow life always seems to get in the way and we never seem to get it done. While at the cabin last weekend, the earth, sun and stars of potato-making-candy aligned and a rich, decadent fudge-like candy was the result.

Oh. My. Heavens. Was it good.

It all began while antiquing.

My beloved antiquing.

Something marvelous always comes from antiquing. We couldn’t believe our eyes when we stumbled upon this little darling…

What is that you ask?

It’s an antique potato masher.

Everybody needs one, right?

After spying this precious find, we looked at each other knowingly and said, “guess we’re making homemade mashed potatoes for dinner tonight!”

I must say that I enjoyed the daylights out of that sweet little potato masher. It made homemade mashed potato making all the merrier.

The next day we set to work to recreate the simple yet delicious candy.

Leftover homemade mashed potatoes, powdered sugar, vanilla, salt and peanut butter is all you need.

Homemade mashed potatoes are key. They are thicker, heartier and act as a better binder than the boxed mashed potatoes.

Put homemade mashed potatoes, vanilla, and salt into a bowl and add one cup of powdered sugar at a time, while kneading with your hands, until mixture becomes a firm fudge-like consistency.

We played around with the ratios and found that 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes mixed with 5 cups powdered sugar made the perfect batch. Evidently depending on the way in which the mashed potatoes are made, can effect how much powdered sugar you may need. So feel free to use a little less or more than my recipe suggests. Just make sure that the mixture is firm enough to hold its shape and not so dry that it crumbles. Does that make sense?

I recommend dividing the mixture in half. I found that it was much easier to work with a smaller amount when rolling and cutting the candy.

Sprinkle powdered sugar on your work surface and rolling pin then roll into a 1/4 inch thickness.

Then carefully roll into a loaf and cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and chill for at least 1-2 hours before cutting into 1/2 inch slices.

That’s it! Let me just tell you that I had no idea how divine this potato candy would actually be. It tasted like peanut butter fudge.

I can’t wait to experiment with some other favorite combinations, like chocolate, or Nutella! Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Seriously, the possibilities are endless!

Now go ahead, impress your friends & family with some good old fashioned love today! Wait till you see the look on their face when you tell them that it’s made with mashed potatoes!

xo-

Old Fashioned Potato Candy

(makes 24 slices)

What You’ll Need:

1/2 cup leftover (preferably homemade) mashed potatoes
5 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons Peanut Butter (approximately)

What to Do:

Put mashed potatoes, vanilla, and salt into a bowl and add one cup of powdered sugar at a time, while kneading with your hands until mixture becomes a firm fudge-like consistency. You may need a tad more or less of the powdered sugar depending on how the mashed potatoes where made. Make adjustments depending on the texture of the mix, you’ll want it to be firm & dry enough to keep its shape but not too dry that would cause it to crumble.

Divide the mixture in half, sprinkle work surface & rolling pin with powdered sugar and roll the potato candy into a 1/4 inch thickness. Spread a thin, but not too thin, layer of peanut butter on top, about 1/4 inch. If you use too much it will squish out the sides when rolling it up.

Gently roll into a loaf and cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and chill for at least 1-2 hours hours before cutting into 1/2 inch thick slices (approximately 12 per loaf).

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Desserts, Food, Snacks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Shebang
    Posted September 18, 2011 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

this is a scottish recipe and its called “macaroon”. The previous description of it being dipped in chocolate and covered with coconut is how it is sold in the shops.

I had never thought of putting a filling in and rolling it like this however, its definately something i am going to try. i think the peanut butter will cut through the sweetness amazingly!

• Janice
      Posted December 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Another way to cut through the sweetness is to substitute cocoa powder for part of the powdered sugar, the amount depends upon how chocolaty you want the candy. Tastes great.

2. Posted November 5, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Potato candy is so good. I have not had it for years. My grandmother made it for me when I was a little girl. Thank you for this recipe. I am going to go and make it for my daughters now!

3. Posted November 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Hi! I found your blog via pinterest and am a new follower. I am loving the posts I’ve seen so far!

4. Mary
    Posted December 31, 2011 at 2:42 am | Permalink

I had some recently with Nutella filling instead of peanut butter – awesome!

5. Laura
    Posted February 1, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

You say to use leftover mashed potatoes… does it matter that they have all the other savory ingredients that go into regular potatoes (i.e. butter, salt, pepper, herbs, etc.)? If making the mashed potatoes specifically for this recipe is it best to just keep the ingredients as minimal as possible, say just cream and butter?

• Posted February 2, 2012 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Hi Laura!

I used all of the regular ingredients, butter, milk/cream, salt but not too much pepper. Hope you enjoy the potato candy as much as we do!

6. Posted February 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Not only does this sound delicious, it looks great. The photos are beautiful.

7. Posted March 3, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I made this with my boys a few ago…yummo!!!!

8. Cutie Pie
    Posted March 8, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve never had potato candy before but read and remembered the recipe from a cookbook I read some 40 years ago. I think I will finally try it soon!

9. :)
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Trying this out for my job’s iron chef contest. the secret ingredient is potatoes….I hope I win!

10. Kim Walker
    Posted June 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I have been looking for a mashed potato candy recipe for YEARS! My Mom used to make this every Christmas and just the thought of it would make my mouth water. I have recently been in therapy due to some heavy issues from childhood and my therapist suggested I try to find and recreate one of my Mom’s recipes. I can’t wait to try this! Thank you! Also, good find on the antique potato masher! My grandma used to have several of those for the grandkids to use to get the potatoes mashed sooner!
    Thanks again!

11. Erica
    Posted September 20, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

My mom makes this every year for mine and my grandfather’s birthday, which happens to fall on the same day. It has always been one of my favorite desserts and is always an option at Christmas!

12. Samantha
    Posted October 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

My mother has made this potato candy ever since I can remember….always yummy & sweet!!!

13. David'sMommy
    Posted October 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I haven’t had potato candy since I was a little girl. My great grandmother and grandmother on my mom’s side used to make it for the holidays, but when my great grandmother passed away (when I was 6) no one made it after that! We had mashed potatoes with dinner tonight and the left overs WERE going to be part of a Shepard’s pie for tomorrow’s dinner, but I think I will just whip up a batch of these to take to my mother. Can’t wait to taste them – should be like jumping in a time machine and going back to Christmas of 1983 – the last time I had them! Thanks for posting this! <3

14. Posted October 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I just stumbled upon your site and I just had to check it out. I’m glad I did. I’m a little ashamed to admit to have never heard of potato candy! The recipe looks simple enough and judging by other comments it’s a must try :) Thanks so much for the recipe and I’ll return and let you know what the family thought. Candy is candy right?

15. Posted December 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Just found this, yours seems to be the most complete of what I remember. My mom used to make this for me when I was a kid, and she even made some and sent it to me when I was deployed in Desert Storm/Desert Shield. Truly made being there better for one day! Didn’t last long! She died a few years ago, and this is one thing I never asked her about, but wanted to know. So thanks for posting it, Happy Holidays to you, and have a great day!

Tom

16. bvick
    Posted December 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

My grandmother made this candy every year at Christmas. We lost the recipe and was so glad to find it . This brought back many wonderful memories of past Christmases many many years ago.

17. Posted February 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Your posting, “Old Fashioned Potato Candy | Wenderly” was in fact well worth
    writing a comment on! Simply just wanted to say u did
    a remarkable job. Thanks a lot -Jermaine

18. emilie
    Posted September 3, 2013 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I think i just wasted 8 or so potatoes. This turned into soup when i added the powder sugar ):
    And i was so excited to live out childhood again

• Posted September 4, 2013 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Hi Emilie,

Sometimes the ratio of the ingredients will change due to the differences in the potatoes and how much water they hold. Next time just add more powdered sugar (a little at a time) until the mixture comes together! Don’t waste those potatoes! :)

• Drekfletch
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

In my experience, the first sugar addition ALWAYS turns it to soup. One normal russet potato uses almost a 2lb bag of sugar.

Also, salt isn’t necessary.

• Janice
          Posted December 21, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Salt isn’t necessary but just a dash takes the flatness out of the potato.

19. Susan f
    Posted October 20, 2013 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Hi, I’m thinking of making these for the elderly folks in our church for Christmas -around 40 people (Yes, I’m crazy…) Do you have a suggestion as to how to package them so they don’t go stale? I’m wondering how long they actually last with the powdered sugar ingredient…and how many pieces would be a good gift amount?
    Thank you so much!

20. Posted December 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks I finally found the receipe my husband grew up with. His Dad always made the candy but put red or green food coloring for Christmas

21. Anna
    Posted March 21, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

My Mom used to make this for us 5 girls. I finally found the recipe on line and made it for Christmas this year. Be careful not to let it get too dry tho. Maybe because we had so much sweets but hardly no one ate it. No prob. More for me!

22. Charlotte
    Posted March 23, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Hi!
    This looks extremely delicious but does it takes like mashed potatoes or does the after taste have a lingering taste of potato?

Thanks

• Posted March 24, 2014 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Hi Charlotte!

There is absolutely no *mashed potato* taste at all! It’s just sweet & peanut buttery!! So delicious!

5 Trackbacks

1. By Old Fashioned Potato Candy | Family Kitchen on August 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

[...] made using LEFTOVER mashed potatoes ; ) Want to make your own? Pop over to Wenderly’s BLOG for the recipe! [...]

2. [...] details: Original Pinterest pin is here. The recipe I used is from Wenderly, found here. Need more Pinterest inspiration?  Come follow my boards [...]

3. [...] Source: Wenderly [...]

4. […] find one linked below) but I still like making it using the pinch-of-this-fist-of-that method. http://wenderly.com/2011/08/17/old-fashioned-potato-candy/ So…again, Happy Valentine’s Day! I hope it’s sweet for you in all ways. Love, […]