Sweet Lion & Lamb Cupcakes

In like a lion out like a lamb. Isn’t that how the saying goes? Spring in suburbia has indeed come in like a lion and I just pray that it will go out like a lamb.

I’m ready for some sweet sunshine, blue skies and gentle breezes.

Years ago (as in five, but who’s counting?) I saw a picture of some darling lion and lamb cupcakes in a Family Fun magazine. I did my usual…tear out, file and forget about it routine and as the years have slipped by I have never actually made the cupcakes.

Do you ever do that? Well, this year I decided that it was now or never. My girls are, ahem, more mature and a tad less interested in cute little cupcakes. They weren’t so interested in making them with me, however when they laid their eyes on them they couldn’t help but to “awwwwwwww”  and “that is SO cute, can I have one?”

And I did what every chicken little mama would do…

I said, “nope” “if you didn’t want to help then you don’t get to enjoy”.

Just kidding.

Of course I let them dig in and I’m pleased to report that they enjoyed the daylights out of them. Actually I don’t know who enjoyed them more, me or them. It was such a delight to watch my very mature, distinguished teen and pre-teen children happily lick their very mature and distinguished lips in between happy giggles. I even suggested sending them in their lunches and well, you can only imagine the <eye rolling> and verbal responses that I received.

So… I just kept pouring them milk and feeding them cupcakes. I just had to relish in the moment as long as they’d let me. That’s innocent enough isn’t it?

Can you tell that I’m having a hard time watching my babies turn into young ladies? <sniff>

The cupcakes were a cinch… I made the lion as I had remembered it from the magazine and created the lamb myself. I baked some boxed cupcakes, iced half the batch with yellow icing and half with white.

For the lion, I put orange gum drops for the mane, a brown jelly bean cut in half for the eyes, an upside-down cinnamon chip for the nose and some sour tape cut into strips for the whiskers.

For the lamb, I used two blue gum balls for the eyes, a pink jelly bean for the nose and then covered every other inch of the cupcake with mini marshmallows.

I got so carried away I even made a duck for good measure. I figure that I should cover all my bases.

Sometimes life just calls for fun and sweet innocence doesn’t it?

I hope you treat yourself to some today.

Wishing you & yours a Happy Spring full of everything sweet…and innocent.

This entry was posted in Desserts, Food, The Silver Lining and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Cuteness!

2. Amy Leibrand
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Lovely, Wendy! This made me smile! :) (love the duck)

3. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I LOVE the duck. What a cute idea! So perfect for Easter.

4. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I laughed out loud when I scrolled down and saw your duck! Too funny. Your lion and lamp cupcakes are adorable and yes, I can see how anyone would have the *child* delightfully come out of them when eating one…or two…or…. :)

5. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

That duck is the cutest!!!

6. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Simply Cute! Love them all!

7. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

These are the sweetest little things. How cute and creative!

8. Elizinwfb
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Love this, with my birthday on March 1st and my daughter’s March 31st…I think these need to be made at my house! Now try to guess who came in like a Lion?

9. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

those are simply adorable!

10. Posted April 14, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

So cute! My kids would love these. I especially love that little duck.

11. Posted April 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Freaking adorable Wendy. I have a special place in my heart for duck bills made out of Pringles.

12. Posted April 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

They are soooo nice!!, but the duck, I can´t tell you, I think it´s the nicest of all.
    Regards and love from Spain

13. Posted April 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

These are soooo darling!!

14. Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Wendy, these are totally adorable cupcakes! Boy, yesterday and the day before sure were lions weatherwise, but today is perfectly lamb-like, and I’m loving it!

15. Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Oh Wenderly….you have made me proud. The duck is my favorite :) xoxo

16. Posted April 14, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

SO cute!

17. Posted April 14, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

How adorable!! The duck is definitely my fave.

18. Posted April 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Oh wow, these are so cute!
    I love the duck espeically :)
    Great idea!

19. christa
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

So cute!

20. Posted April 14, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Those are SO adorable! The duck is the just the cutest thing..

21. Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:07 am | Permalink

These are adorable. I love the pringle as the duck bill, that’s so clever!

22. Posted April 15, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

These are just adorable!

23. Posted April 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Darling, my dear….

24. Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

“So… I just kept pouring them milk and feeding them cupcakes. I just had to relish in the moment as long as they’d let me.”

LOVELOVELOVE this about you!!! :)

25. Posted April 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I love the duck! Plus would love that bit of crunchy saltiness from the chip. Too cute; almost wish my kids were little and here. Almost.

26. Posted April 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

LOL – They look too adorable! Thank you for the smiles! :-))

27. Posted April 16, 2011 at 5:08 am | Permalink

These are adorable. I especially love the duck!

28. Posted April 16, 2011 at 7:39 am | Permalink

So. Darn. Cute. You are so creative. Who says you can’t play with your food?

29. Posted April 16, 2011 at 8:38 am | Permalink

OK, the lamb was adorable, the lion totally sweet, but the duck . . . CUTEST THING EVER!

30. Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

So so cute!! I am loving the duck bill! LOL

31. Posted April 16, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Just love your sweet creativity!

32. Posted April 16, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Your cup cakes are sooo cute! I love the lion and that duck, adoreable. Is that a pringle for its beak?

• Posted April 16, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Jennifer!

Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comment! And yes! That is indeed a pringle! It was a last minute idea that seems to be getting a lot of positive response! LOL! It was delish too! Sweet & salty is a fav of mine!

33. Posted April 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

How adorable are those cupcakes! What cute ideas!

34. TidyMom
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 7:35 am | Permalink

These are adorable Wendy!! I just had to laugh when I scrolled to the duck!!

35. Posted April 17, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

These are way too much fun! My daughters and I are loving this – your duck especially made us laugh!! I like to let my girls over indulge in special treats, too. :)

36. Posted April 18, 2011 at 10:12 am | Permalink

How cute are those cupcakes?! Love the duck–made me laugh out loud at that big duck bill!

37. Posted April 18, 2011 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

“I did my usual…tear out, file and forget about it routine and as the years have slipped by I have never actually made the cupcakes.”….um, I think you and I might be separated at birth. I have lion and lamb cupcakes torn from a Martha Stewart Kids magazine….I want to say it’s EIGHT years old….possibly older. Never made ‘em. Now I don’t have to…YOU did! And they are precious! The duck? Genius!

38. Posted April 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

These are wonderful! I especially love the lion. It’s great how the simplest ideas can bring such joy to others.

39. Posted April 18, 2011 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Wendy, the duck is killing me!!! SO cute! SO creative!

• Posted April 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Well thank you so much love! I am so flattered that you think so! I was munching on some pringles while shooting the others and I just went with it! He seems to be a favorite! I’m so glad that I decided to included the little guy!

40. Posted April 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

So precious! My grands would love these.

41. Posted April 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

These are adorable and so creative!

42. Posted April 20, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness that duck cupcake is TOO CUTE. I know what I’m doing all weekend! In honor of Easter I might try to make a bunny cupcake as well!

43. Posted April 24, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I had a duck when I was 11, her name was Gloria, after my mother and she didn’t like that so I named her Sam after Samantha from Bewitched, it was the sign of the times. Anyways, since then I have loved ducks, and not the kind on a serving dish either…I think your cupcakes are adorable.

One Trackback

1. By Easter Cupcakes | TidyMom on April 18, 2011 at 7:36 am

[...] Easter/Spring cupcakes you may enjoy:Birds Nest CupcakesBunny Ear CupcakesRaspberry Filled CupcakesSweet Lion & Lamb CupcakesCounting Sheep CupcakesEaster Lamb Cupcakes Tweet //LinkWithinCodeStart var linkwithin_site_id = [...]