Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Baked Apples

Once you try this scrumptious Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Baked Apple recipe you will want to make it every single day. And guess what? It’s so easy you will!

We have a joke in our family about apples. Ever since I can remember and especially after school while my sister and I were ravenous and scavenging for something starchy and satisfying, my mom’s standard response to “what can we have to eat?” was “have an apple.”

What? Seriously? An apple? Ummmm, I was thinking somewhere along the lines of nachos swimming in melted cheese.

After a while we didn’t even bother to ask any more. We just started digging fast and furious into every chip bag we could find until we heard her footsteps coming followed by the “Girls? Are you home? What do you want for an after school snack? Why don’t you have an apple?” It was truly remarkable that my mom had the uncanny ability to know the exact moment that we were digging into the chip bags. She knew it every…single…time…(without fail).Why do chip bags have to make so much dag on noise?

Well guess what? Now the joke’s on me, I’m a mom of two girls and somehow, mysteriously, through no conscious intent of my own, the words, “have an apple“, now echo through the kitchen at my house. It’s like a curse or something…as I hear the familiar rustle of chips bags, I find myself casually pop around the corner with an innocent “why don’t you girls have an apple?” How can this be happening? Guess it’s true what they say about turning into your mother! And still to this day I must admit that I wonder if she was actually in cahoots with the obnoxiously loud sounding chip bag manufacturers.

Now don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with apples! I love apples. Adore them! Even after a lifetime of eating them daily whether I wanted to or not. And I’m so happy that I’ve instilled the love of them into my children as well. That’s why this recipe written by my tween, Sassafras, delights me so. She has gotten creative with her apple consumption and I must say that this is an easy yet decadent way to enjoy an apple. Clever, clever girl she is.

So I give to you…brown sugar & cinnamon baked apples.

Here’s what you’ll need. An apple, cinnamon, brown sugar, and some aluminum foil cut into squares.

My daughter makes this yummy treat on a regular basis, but I’ve never attempted to do so. The night before I planned on making these sweet packets of deliciousness, I left a note with a few questions for her to answer before she left for school and I woke up to this.

Instead of simply answering my questions she wrote out “her” recipe. I think that I may have a foodie on my hands!

Begin by cutting an apple in half and coring it. I used a gala apple but any apple will do!

Next, slice each half into very thin slices. Approximately 20 slices for each half.

You’ll end up with a big pile of apples.

Place all of the slices in the center of a piece of foil (make sure that the foil is big enough to close easily around the apples or you’ll have an ooey gooey mess on your hands after it cooks).

Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar all over the apples.

That’s it! Do you believe it?  No butter, no anything else, the brown sugar and cinnamon combined with the juices of the apple make their very own magnificent sauce.

Wow, why didn’t I think of this when I was a kid?

I found that gathering each corner of the foil up and pinching it together kept all of the fabulous brown sugar & cinnamon sauce in the packet rather than all over the oven.

Placing your packets on a baking sheet is a good idea as well. Bake in a 400º oven for 25 minutes.

The result? Warm, succulent cinnamony (is that a word?) melt in your mouth apples. Make sure to pour all of the sauce all over the top, grab a fork and dig in!

Maybe my mom was on to something.

Now go have an apple!

Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Baked Apples

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Warm, succulent and cinnamony melt in your mouth apples.
Author:
Serves: 1
Ingredients
  • I apple
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 piece of aluminum foil
Instructions
  1. Slice 1 apple of your choice very thin (1/8 inch) you’ll end up with approximately 40 slices total.
  2. Place apple slices onto a sheet of foil, sprinkle 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
  3. Wrap up foil by gathering each corner and pinch it together and place on baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 400º for 25 minutes.
Nutrition Information
Calories: 237 Fat: 0g Saturated fat: 0g Unsaturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 62g Sugar: 52g Sodium: 10mg Fiber: 7g Protein: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg

This entry was posted in Food, Snacks, The Silver Lining. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 6, 2010 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Yummy! Wish I had some now. ; )

2. Posted October 6, 2010 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I’m convinced that we are all destined to become our parents some day. Love that your tween wrote up her recipe. And I’m with Amy, I could dive into some of this right now.

3. Posted October 6, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness, looks fabulous!!! So easy too. I just brought home a big bag of Macouns from New York state – some of them will have to meet this fate.

4. erica
    Posted October 6, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

that is just screaming for vanilla ice cream! yummmmm.

5. Terri Yoakum
    Posted October 7, 2010 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Love your apple recipe…

6. Posted October 7, 2010 at 11:12 am | Permalink

How fun! Having an apple is suddenly much more appealing now. :-)

7. Posted October 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

I recently read this in a magazine article on gauging your appetite: “If you’re not hungry enough to eat an apple, then you’re not hungry enough to eat.” That, of course, is complete nonsense because there are plenty of times when I’m not hungry enough for an apple but could easily put away a cd case-sized square of chocolate.

But THIS? This would make me hungry for an apple.

8. Posted October 12, 2010 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

That looks delicious. My mouth is watering. I may have to go pick up some apples on the way home today.

9. Posted October 13, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

My daughter isn’t even born yet, and I am already turning into my mother. Lord help me. I am SO making this for dessert tonight. Or just a pre-dinner snack.

10. Maria
    Posted October 20, 2010 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Sooo good! I will not make the mistake next time to serve without vanilla ice cream :)

11. Amber
    Posted March 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

This looks delicious, and I am going to be making these soon!

12. Becky
    Posted August 29, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I have 3 apple trees, and my kids and I are always looking for new thing to do with apples. They will LOVE this! And I think I will, too! Thanks! :)

13. Amy
    Posted November 24, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I have to eat gluten free and this as a dessert makes me forget that!! It’s wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!

14. Laura
    Posted May 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Just stumbled on this recently. I have these apples in the oven and can’t wait to try them. With two small children, I’m always looking for quick dinners, snacks and desserts. This is definitely a dessert that will make them forget that there are apples under there somewhere. And I admit, I’m drooling over it a bit too :)

15. Whitney
    Posted July 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for this! I was making supper for mom (it’s always a disaster, but she pretends to love it) because she was working late again, and I realized almost too late that I forgot a dessert. She has quite a sweet-tooth, so supper would have turned out extra tragic if it wasn’t for this perfectly simple recipe. Thanks again!

16. Posted September 3, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

I am so happy to have found this recipe! I must’ve done something a bit off though, as the sauce portion didn’t really come together. Any suggestions for next time?

• Posted September 4, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Ashley!

I’m wondering if it might have something to do with the type of apple that you’re using? We use Gala a lot. Perhaps the apple you’ve tried isn’t as juicy? And make sure that the foil it tightly closed to keep all of the steam inside to help create the juices. Hope that helps! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

17. BranHeath&Luke
    Posted October 7, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

In our oven now and we CANNOT wait to try them!

18. Posted April 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

We eat breakfast frequently at Cracker Barrel (so yummy) and they always give a little dish of apples.
    This makes me think of how good they are and yes, I too, use Gala, they are so good. I just bought
    some, so thanks and now into the oven they go. Will make a batch of them, as my husband has to have his Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream and he will love this. What a surprise he will have.

19. jessi
    Posted April 30, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

So yummy! I have been searching for 30 minutes to find a good healthy recipe and this one tops the cake! Thanks for sharing :-)

20. Luke
    Posted May 19, 2013 at 6:10 am | Permalink

maaan! youve got me hooked! these apples are to die for! im making them from breakfast and putting them on some pancakes! thanks so much! your kids got some talent there mayum!

21. Mary
    Posted May 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Making these for a friend’s (admittedly casual) wedding. Officially the dessert/”cake” is an assortment of cheesecakes, but there are 2 people with dairy allergies and 2 people with celiac disease (gluten-free) going to be there. This recipe is great: allowing me to make something that both of those groups can enjoy. Tried a few variations on a test-run. A mixture of Granny-Smith and gala apples worked well. Also, adding a few drops of vanilla was good. Especially liked the tin-foil idea, makes it easier to travel and clean. (and yes, I have a thermal bag to keep them in until the reception)

22. Nathan
    Posted September 21, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

I never comment on anything online but this simple recipe deserves it.

Whipped these up in 30 minutes this morning to go with our oatmeal and my 2 year old DEVOURED these!

23. Shianne
    Posted September 24, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

This is amazing. Thank you.

My boyfriend and I loved it.

24. Tami
    Posted February 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I made this last night and was soooooooo yummy!!!!! Thanks for sharing. Only 2 points on WW too for me.

25. suga
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I was looking for some ways to have kitchen creations for activities for senior adult it was wonderful,they were able to do it for them selfs it was a hit!

• Posted March 24, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Awwwwwwww! That is so so sweet! Melts my heart to hear that. Thank you so much for taking the time to share that with me!

26. Krys
    Posted April 1, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Great recipe for us poor college kids! It’s sweet, delicious, cheap, and a great natural source of fiber and energy!

27. Sam
    Posted April 7, 2014 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Love this! I was looking for a simple, baked apple recipe and this is easy and delicious. I added a bit of nutmeg and will be making these again for sure!

28. Lune
    Posted April 27, 2014 at 1:38 am | Permalink

I made this as a topping for some cinnamon oatmeal pancakes. It was delicious and low calorie! Thanks for sharing!

4 Trackbacks

1. [...] a melon scooper to do this if you do not have a corer. For a delicious dessert variation, insert a brown sugar, cinnamon, pecan, raisin and butter mixture into the hollow and bake until tender. The flavors will [...]

2. […] sources (bottom poster, clockwise from top left): blueberries, apples, salmon, melons, sweet potatoes, chicken, oatmeal, carrots, bananas, eggs, pumpkin, cottage cheese, […]

3. […] sources (bottom poster, clockwise from top left): blueberries, apples, salmon, melons, sweet potatoes, chicken, oatmeal, carrots, bananas, eggs, pumpkin, cottage cheese, […]

4. […] also have a deconstructed baked apple, as Wendy from Wenderly shows us in this delicious looking recipe. I love the simplicity of the recipe. You also don’t have to worry about the risk of the […]