HAPPY AWE-TUMN

Today, in honor of it being the first day of Autumn, my beloved Dogwood tree has given me the perfect gift.

A brilliant red leaf.

I am in awe.

The mysterious transformation of the seasons delights me so. In my opinion Autumn is like no other. The spectacular display of color that’s been hidden beneath the cool green of the leaves all summer long, delights me every year. I love the fact that there is a grand celebration before the bare starkness of winter sets in.

I tuck these images into the corners of my mind so that I have a place to go when I can stand the gray no more.

AWE-TUMN

When summer’s seams
Have come undone,
Then greens to reds
And purples run.
A palette falls
To the forest floor,
And autumn leaves
Leave
me in awe.

~Douglas Florian

May the leaves of Autumn linger with you all winter long,

This entry was posted in The Silver Lining and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted September 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

that’s beautiful, Wendy! I LOVE fall! :)

2. Posted September 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

The perfect leaf and the perfect gift. And I agree that autumn is like no other. I wish we could experience it here in South Florida but I will just have to go with the memories of a child growing up in Atlanta.
    Happy Fall Wendy! Can’t wait to meet you in a few weeks.

3. Posted September 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing. The older I get, the more I love fall. Does that mean I am in the autumn of my life?? I hope not. The garden that looks so ugly as a result of my neglect during the terrible heat of summer is now being rescued by mother nature. Beautiful colors everywhere!

4. Posted September 22, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

I love autumn! Lovely post. :-)

5. Posted September 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Sooooo beautiful. I love this time of year :)

6. Posted September 22, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Autumn is my favorite time of the year too! Can’t wait for the parade of colors.

7. Posted September 23, 2010 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I am loving all the color in the leaf! Happy Autumn.

8. Posted September 24, 2010 at 6:46 am | Permalink

I loove autumn as well. But I adore your post and it’s sentiment even more. Beautiful!!

9. Posted September 24, 2010 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Beautiful, lyrical post. Autumn always makes me melancholy. I want to hold on to summer’s luscious green but can’t stop it from slipping away.